Registered Charity Number: 1111635

Go Back   CADAM > CADAM > Maintenance

Old 11-03-2018, 08:48 PM
CADAM Member

Default Calling Duncan Munro about Nextbase Ride camera

Hi Duncan. You provided a useful review of the Nextbase Ride camera in issue 51 of O2W, and said, "Any CADAM members wishing to use a RAM mount, please send me a message and I will 3D print a small two-piece adapter for you to make the ball into a 1 diameter."
Well I have the camera and I could do with an enlarged ball. Is your offer still open? No problem if not. Thanks very much.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:19 AM
CADAM Member

Default Re: Calling Duncan Munro about Nextbase Ride camera

Hi Alan, yes leave it with me and I'll sort it out for you. Let me know how best to get it to you.

Regards,
Duncan
Old 12-03-2018, 01:12 PM
CADAM Member

Brilliant! Thanks very much.
I've sent my contact details via a Personal Message, which you can view if you're signed in.
Old 21-03-2018, 02:22 PM
CADAM Member

Funnily enough I as looking at that article and the nextbase camera for my Triumph , how are you getting on with the camera would you still recommend it ?
Regards
Mike
Old 22-03-2018, 09:38 PM
CADAM Member

If the question is for me, Mike, then I wouldn’t particularly recommend it but it depends what you want and expect. I wanted a Christmas present, and this was it.
I mounted the camera temporarily in two positions on my Explorer – one looking through the screen and the other not. The quality of the picture is fantastic – through the screen or not. I will eventually mount mine with a view through the screen. It’s a proper “dashcam” not an action camera. For example, it records on a loop (I know action cameras can do this, too) and it protects the files if it senses a shock. The playback can show your speed and location. It’s really natty.
However, the screen is on top of the camera, so you need to look from directly above to see if it’s in video, camera or playback mode, and you need to check because the buttons are not glove friendly. Then there’s the mounting system. I spent 34 on two RamMount parts. Nextbase suggest a third RamMount part – a 1” ball that screws into the bottom of the camera. I thought this would be a proper nuisance when removing the camera from the bike because you would have two choices: loosen the RamMount clamp and have it flop all over the place so requiring relocation next time you use it, or unscrew the camera from the ball.
That’s where Duncan’s converter helps. The camera comes with a mounting that is a platform connected to a small ball. Duncan’s conversion means that the small ball can be converted to 1” and then be held in the RamMount clamp. To remove the camera is then a bit easier – just release it from the platform. Mmmm, not really a great design again. The camera is held on the platform by a small, flimsy over-centre clamp. I don’t trust it. I’m going to devise some form of extra security – like a piece of string tied in a bow. Even then, to remove the camera requires disconnection of the waterproof micro-USB connector. Waterproof by virtue of a threaded cover – so needs some time to loosen/tighten. And I don’t expect the little micro-USB connector to last long. Then there’ll be a dangling lead – exposed to the elements on those occasions when I don’t mount the camera.
Totally not like my Garmin satnav that clips in and out of a waterproof powered bracket in a second.
Generally, I will leave the camera mounted. I doubt it consumes much power. When parked in the garage, the bike’s normally on a smart charger. Therefore, I probably don’t need to find a switched supply for it. Good job because finding a switched supply on the Explorer is a challenge. I’ll probably plug into the cigar lighter just in front the petrol tank.
All in all, probably a good bit of tech compromised by ergonomics and mechanical design.