Registered Charity Number: 1111635
Old 27-09-2017, 01:30 AM
CADAM Member

Default Waterproofing

Over the last couple of weeks I've been trying a couple of different waterproofing products for replacing the DWR (Durable Water Repellent) coating on textile motorcycle clothing.

I bought a couple of 250ml cans of waterproofer off eBay at around £12 each, the labels looked a bit home made, they didn't last long, and quite frankly didn't work very well! Buy cheap, pay twice...

However, I've hit the jackpot recently and have been trying out some Kampa Super Hydrophobic Waterproofing Spray from my local camping shop. This stuff is intended for waterproofing tents, awnings, gazebos etc. but can be used on any kind of fabric or even smooth finishes such as leather. The shop said it was the same strength as Fabsil Gold (this is a 6x strength waterproofer used for permanent outdoor items that stay up all year round).

The supersized 750ml aerosol is £7.99 and will cover a pair of boots and a couple of pair of trousers with 4 thin coats (probably only 2 are required), I've exhausted my 750ml tin and have been down today and bought a 2.5 litre can at £29.99 which can be brushed on or applied with a spraygun. This should work out much better value as it's 2.5 litres of solid waterproofer, no fresh air, propellants, etc. as you get with the aerosol.

If I've managed to work the post correctly, there should be a link to the product and also a picture of my RST trousers that had been through the shower.

Cheers,
Duncan
https://www.camperite.co.uk/kampa-su...ophobic-750ml/

Last edited by duncanamps; 27-09-2017 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Corrected image size
Old 28-09-2017, 08:28 PM
Observer
CADAM Member

Default Re: Waterproofing

Thanks, Iíll have a look at that
Old 29-09-2017, 10:33 AM
Editor O2W
CADAM Member

A very useful post. Great stuff, I'll be looking for some of that!

Why not send me a review for your latest bit of kit, bike or good ride out? editor@cadam.org
Mark Anstey
Old 29-09-2017, 03:12 PM
CADAM Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvfr View Post
A very useful post. Great stuff, I'll be looking for some of that!
I used some liquid from the concentrated 2.5 litre tin in an old trigger spray bottle used for kitchen cleaner. It really piled the stuff on, only one light coat is needed with the pure liquid whereas the aerosol needs a good hosing.

The seat on the bike has been done as well, all I need is some rain

Tags
clothing, textile, waterproofer